A historic district in Grand Teton National Park honors Mormon settlers of Jackson Hole and provides a foreground for photographs of the mountains.
The most photographed structure along Mormon Row, as the collection of buildings is known, is the T.A. Moulton Barn, built over the course of 30 years by Thomas Alma Moulton. His brother John homesteaded nearby and also constructed a barn that stands today.
T.A.’s Barn has a gable roof, John’s a gambrel one. The gate pictured above was part of John Moulton’s property. The Andy Chambers Homestead is part of the district.
Families established twenty-seven homesteads near Blacktail Butte in what became the community of Grovont, park historians say. Between 1896 and 1937 they dug a series of ditches to irrigate crops.
The American people now own most of the property in the neighborhood as part of the national park. The area earned historic status in 1997.