On May 19, 1869, John A. Campbell took the oath of office as territorial governor, giving Wyoming an organized government. He called for creation of a territorial seal, describing it in a proclamation.
“A mountain with a locomotive and train of cars crossing over its summit. Near the summit a spring of water, from which flow[s] two streams, one to the east, and one to the west.”
The design sought shovel, pick-ax, shepherd’s crook and plow. An elk would be at the top and “Let us have Peace” was the motto.
Officials used the seal until the Legislature adopted a new one in December 1869, according to the Wyoming State Library, which published this copy of the seal. Wyoming became a state on July 10, 1890.
Other territorial officials appointed along with Campbell were Edward M. Lee, secretary; John H. Howe, chief justice; and William T. Jones and John W. Kingman, justices.
For more, see Wyoming State Archives and General laws, resolutions and memorials of the Territory of Wyoming at Google books.